Mediatek is the most used chipset manufacturer in Chinese mobile devices. It offers really good CPUs if you take the price into consideration and they come with interesting features like dual-4G connectivity and dedicated AI co-processor. However, Mediatek did not manage to get traction in high-end smartphones, a spot that so was almost exclusively to Snapdragon CPUs. Yes, I know that Huawei and Samsung have high0end chipsets, but you only find them in smartphones that are under the same brand. Today, Mediatek unveiled a new chip which it hopes will get a lot of attention and hopefully it will power a few future flagship devices. The biggest feature is a dedicated 5G modem, something that so far not even Qualcomm has.
We don’t know the name of the chip yet, but we do know most of the specs thanks to a press release offered by the company. The new CPU will be built on a 7nm lithography and will have Cortex-A77 cores as well as Mali-G77 GPU. The number of cores and configuration was not revealed yet, which makes me think that there will be multiple versions available. Other information like the maximum RAM supported or the number of cameras was also left out of the press release. Instead, Mediatek decided to focus on the M70 modem included. This modem will offer 5G connectivity in both stand-alone and non-stand-alone modes for sub-6Ghz networks. If the chipset will be priced competitively, it may trigger an influx of 5G compatible devices and really start the 5G revolution we were promised.
The new Mediatek high-end chipset will be ready for sampling by smartphone manufacturers in Q3 2019 and the first batch of devices with it will be ready by Q1 2020. Full specifications will be introduced in the coming months, but let us leave here an extract from the press release with the most important features:
- Helio M70 5G modem: MediaTek designed Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC.
- 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
- Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management
- Multi-mode support – 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G – and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity
- New AI architecture: Sports an all new AI processing unit. Supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
- Latest CPU technology: MediaTek’s 5G SoC is a performance powerhouse with the just announced new Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
- State-of-the-art GPU: A robust new Arm Mali-G77 GPU that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET: World’s first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Speedy throughput: A peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high resolution camera (80MP).